Dr. Stephen Handa
Name: Dr. Stephen Handa
Department: Security Diplomacy and Peace Studies
Contact Address: Box 6970 00 100 Nairobi
Area of Specialization: Peace, Conflict,Security, Strategy
Research Interests: Security, Conflict, Peace
- Journal Article: ‘Operationalizing National Security in Border Management: Perspectives on the Kenya Somalia Border’ In Contemporary Security in Africa. Vol 5 No1. April 2020
- Journal Article: Contextualizing Radicalization and Terrorism in Kenya, In Contemporary Security in Africa. Vol 3 NO.1 April 2015
Books and Books Chapters
- Book Chapter ‘Assessing Critical Infrastructure Protection in the Era of Terrorism in Kenya’, in the Changing Dynamics of Terrorism & Violent Extremism Policy & Practice Vol 2. The Horn International Institute for Strategic Studies. Nairobi
- Principles of Microeconomics Basic Book for BSc in Military Science - Published by Egerton University Nakuru
- Principles of Macroeconomics Basic Book for BSc in Military Science - Published by Egerton University Nakuru
- History of the Kenya Military Academy
- National Defence College Year Book 2020 & 2021 Editions
- Reading Modules BA Security Studies 1.Physical and Access Control, and 2. Asset Security
- Regional Cooperation and Integration in Eastern Africa: Realities, Contradictions and Challenges. Paper at International Conference on African Security ‘Improving Security in East Africa through Regional Integration’ Konrad Adenauer Stiftung & CAFSEC - 19 & 20 Nov 2018 Tribe Hotel, Nairobi.
- ‘Piracy along the East African Coast: Gainers and Losers’
- ‘Challenges of counter-terrorism efforts in East Africa’
- ‘Military and conflict prevention in Kenya’
- “Lost tomorrow” – Impact of conflict on Child soldiers – paper
- “Rightful Space” – Role of youth in peace building – paper
- “Human trafficking and smuggling: Security implications for Kenya and the Region”
- “Analysing the role and challenges of private security providers in Kenya”
- “Challenges of peacekeeping in post-Cold War Africa”
- “Analysing the effects and challenges of time and space on insurgency in Africa”
- “Role of ideology in the post-Cold War era global conflicts”
- “Inert-Ethnic Conflict and Socio-economic Security in Turkana County-Kenya” PhD thesis
- “An analysis of determinants of Military expenditure in post independent Kenya” - PGDip thesis
- “Critical Analysis of Tax Evasion and Inflation in Kenya 1967 -1997” – MSc thesis
- International Conference on ‘Africa–Middle East Relations Shared Peace; Shared Security; Shared Prosperity’ held on August 25–26, 2021, at Ole-Sereni Hotel Nairobi.
- Kenya Ministry of Defence Conference on Health and Security: 16th & 17th May 2019, Held at Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Nairobi.
- International Conference on Terrorism and Violent Extremism by the Horn International Institute for Strategic Studies 24-26 April 2018, Windsor Hotel, Nairobi.
- International Conference on African Security ‘Improving Security in East Africa through Regional Integration’ Konrad Adenauer Stiftung & CAFSEC - 19 & 20 Nov 2018 Tribe Hotel, Nairobi.
- Conference on Small Arms Conflict and Peacebuilding: The Case of West Pokot County, Tuesday 28th February, 2023 at United States International University Africa, Nairobi, Kenya.
Symposia & Seminars Attended
- Seminar on Kenya Territorial Borders on 25th -29th at Kenya School of Government, Lower Kabete – Nairobi (Organised & participated)
- Symposium on Terrorism for Stake Holders Drawn Mainly From Line Ministries, Departments And Academia, Held On 27th - 28th April 2015 at International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) Karen- Kenya (Organised & participated)
- Higher Level Symposium on Kenya’s National Interests on 13 January 2016 At Kenya School of Government (Organised & participated)