Welcome to School of Security, Diplomacy and Peace Studies...
The School of Security, Diplomacy and Peace Studies was established in late 2015 to steer the implementation of academic programmes in the areas of security, diplomacy and peace. This follows the abolishment of the Institute of Peace and Security Studies which had been coordinating studies in the areas of peace and security from 2010 to 2015. The School houses all programmes offered to such organizations/agencies in the security sector as the Kenya Defence Forces, National Police Service incorporating the Kenya Police Service, The Administration Police Service and the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI). It is also the chief trainer for the Kenya Prisons Service. The School has three departments under it namely:
- Department of Conflict, Peace and Strategic Studies
- Department of Security and Correction Science
- Department of Diplomacy and International Relations
To be a centre of excellence in training, research, acquisition and dissemination of knowledge and skills in the areas of security, diplomacy and peace.
To build capacity to foster security, diplomacy and peace by providing highly qualified and skilled personnel for all fields in peace and security to individuals and agencies in public or private sectors.
- To oversee and coordinate the implementation of academic programmes in the areas of security, diplomacy and peace studies.
- To provide facilities and resources necessary to undertake academic studies and research in security, diplomacy and peace studies.
- To be a center of excellence in teaching and research in the areas of security, diplomacy and peace studies.
- To coordinate collaborations with external clients in the security diplomacy, and peace sectors
Uniqueness of the School
The School not only offers academic programmes but also has the mandate to coordinate collaborations with institutions dealing with security and who have entered into or are willing to enter into partnerships with the University to offer training to their personnel. The existing collaborations with the Kenya Defence Forces, the National Police Service incorporating the Kenya Police Service, The Administration Police Service, the Directorate of Criminal Investigation and the Kenya Prisons Service offer unique opportunities for these agencies to work alongside the University staff in developing and implementing tailor-made courses for their staff.
School News and Events
Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 October 2016 16:52